As most of you will of been aware this week Wikipedia and a number of other sites held a ‘blackout’ and stopped access to their sites in protest against some American legislation known as SOPA and PIPA.
Me discussing would be both boring and pointless as I’m sure there are many more places on the web covering the importance of this. Instead I’m going to give you a list of ‘facts’ that got posted on Twitter taking advantage of Wikipedia being down. Some of these were fantastically witty so m going to share them here. I am on twitter so if you use it feel free to follow me @dave_furness
Just think….without websites like Wikipedia some poor people may actually believe the ‘facts’ below. If you came across any good ones, leave them in the comments below.
1. Stonehenge is the scaffolding for a project which lost funding in a Bronze Age recession.
2. The speed of light is slower at night
3. The plate was invented by Plato
4. When a Cat purrs, he is actually pretending to be a helicopter
5. The Volkswagen Beetle was names after The Beatles
6. Before Sir Isaac Newton invented gravity in the 17th century, everything had to be nailed down.
7. International Credit Crunch is an imported breakfast cereal
8. France has lost its AAA rating and can no longer sell small batteries
9. Hot Dogs were names after a British Earl of the same name
10. Star Wars is based on a lesser known Shakespeare work “Thy Force Be Stronge”
11. Michael Jackson taught both Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin how to moonwalk.
12. In 1971 the Labour government came within days of calling in the troops to remove the Wombles from Wimbledon Common
13. Pluto is no longer a planet due to a copyright infringement by Disney