Just a quick post today, as I’m busy thinking of and writing other types of content. More on this soon.
Today however is the 20th Birthday of the World Wide Web, and for me this is something I feel should not go un-noticed. The invention of the world-wide web has changed everything over the past twenty years.
On the 6th August 1991 Tim Berners-Lee presented a project for organising information in what later became the World Wide Web. Sure there have been a few bumps in the road of the WWW, with problems like privacy and allowing dangerous people a new and easy to use medium. But the good massively outweighs this. The world is now a much smaller place making communication so much easier, it has created thousands and thousands of jobs and has brought so much information into the homes of millions.
Without the WWW I wouldn’t have the job I do, which I enjoy, I wouldn’t have met some of the people I now call friends and I wouldn’t be writing this now for you to read. Below is my list of Top 5 things to come out of the World Wide Web.
- Google – Bringing so much information to the masses.
- Facebook/Twitter – Social Networking has meant that no-one is too far away to lose contact with, no matter where they are on the globe.
- YouTube – Not just allowing the sharing of video’s but allowing for instructional videos to be shared but bringing ‘Youtubers’ to the masses. Shaycarl being a personal favourite.
- eBay/Amazon etc – Online sales and e-commerce is perhaps the biggest benefit of the WWW (Although I may just be biased) Allowing you to buy almost anything from the comfort of your own home has had a massive impact on the world.
- WordPress – Self explanatory but has allowed people like me to share thoughts, experiences and expertise with those people who are looking for what we have to talk about. This level of sharing and finding people who can help you has had a massive impact on the world.
My question is…what are yours?
GA, GE and GN